Shrewsbury & Newport Canals Trust (SNCT) Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice was adopted by the SNCT in May 2018 in order to comply with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), in force on 25 May 2018.
Your personal data – what is it?
“Personal data” is any information about a living individual, which allows them to be identified from that data (for example a name, photographs, videos, email address, or address). Identification can be by the personal data alone or in conjunction with any other personal data. The processing of personal data is governed by legislation relating to personal data, which applies in the United Kingdom including the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR) and other local legislation relating to personal data and rights.
This Privacy Notice relates to the Shrewsbury & Newport Canals Trust which is the data controller for any data it holds about members and other identifiable individuals.
The person within SNCT who is responsible for managing the Trust’s use of personal data is Brian Nelson whose contact address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
SNCT may have cause to share data with:
• Canal & River Trust
• Inland Waterways Association
• Community groups
• Other not for profit entities
SNCT may process some or all of the following personal data where necessary to perform its tasks:
• Names, titles, photographs;
• Contact details such as telephone numbers, addresses, and email addresses;
• Where they are relevant to the activities of SNCT, or where you provide them to us, we may process demographic information such as gender, age, marital status, nationality, education/work histories, academic/professional qualifications, hobbies, family composition;
• Where you make payments for your membership or other activities we may process financial identifiers such as bank account numbers and various payment/transaction identifiers.
SNCT will comply with data protection law. This says that the personal data we hold about you must be:
• Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
• Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
• Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
• Accurate and kept up to date.
• Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
• Kept and destroyed securely including ensuring that appropriate technical and security measures are in place to protect your personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure.
We use your personal data for some or all of the following purposes:
• To manage your membership of SNCT and your engagement with the Trust across its full range of activities and interests;
• To contact you by post, email, telephone or using social media;
• To maintain our own accounts and records;
• To seek your views, opinions or comments;
• To notify you of the various activities of SNCT and those of other organisations or individuals which we believe may be of interest to you.
These may include information about campaigns, appeals, other new projects or initiatives;
• To process relevant financial transactions relating to your relationship with SNCT.
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
Typically the use of your personal data will require your consent and we will first obtain your consent to that use.
We may also process personal data if it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you, or to take steps to enter into a contract. An example of this would be processing your data in connection with a financial arrangement you may wish to enter into with SNCT.
Sharing your personal data:
SNCT will implement appropriate security measures to protect your personal data and will not normally share this with third parties outside of the organisation without your permission. However, some personal date may be shared with agents, suppliers or contractors for a specific purpose. These third parties also have an obligation to put in place appropriate security measures and will be responsible to you directly for the manner in which they process and protect your personal data.
How long do we keep your personal data?
In general, we will endeavour to keep data only for as long as we need it. This means that we will delete it when it is no longer needed. In the case of membership records we will retain membership details for up to two years after a membership has lapsed.
Your rights and your personal data:
You have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
The right to access personal data we hold on you
The right to correct and update the personal data we hold on you
The right to have your personal data erased
The right to object to processing of your personal data or to restrict it to certain purposes only
The right to data portability
The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time for any processing of data to which consent was obtained
The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can contact the Information Commissioners Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/ or at the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.
Transfer of Data Abroad
Excepting for communications with members who live abroad, SNCT will not normally transfer any personal data to countries or territories outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). However, our website is accessible from overseas and so on occasion some personal data, for example in a newsletter, may be accessed from overseas.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a Privacy Notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
Changes to this notice
We will keep this Privacy Notice under review and we will place any updates on our website. This Notice was last updated in May 2018.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or the personal data we hold about you, or wish to exercise your relevant rights, or to make a complaint please write to Brian Nelson email@example.com.