Working to restore the canals from Norbury to Shrewsbury
Bridge on Humber Arm at Lubstree Nov 2006
Humber Arm Bridge & Engine house
Transhipment Warehouse. Feb 1976.
This building still stands today on the banks of Lubstree Wharf at the end of the Humber Arm, an offshoot of the Newport Branch on the Shrewsbury Canal. It dates to around the 1860’s and was used as a “transhipment shed” where coal from Oakengates (in Telford) was offloaded from railway wagons onto horse drawn tub boats to continue the journey to Shrewsbury. The railway wagons entered the shed in the large opening in the facing wall and the canal can just be seen to the extreme right of the photo.
This building is known as a “transhipment shed”. It dates from around the 1860’s and was used to transfer coal delivered by railway from Oakengates (in Telford) onto canal barges that worked the Shrewsbury Canal. The rail wagons entered the shed through the large opening on the left and their cargo was lugged through the wooden hatch in the near wall and dropped into the barge waiting below. Although this photograph was taken in the 1960’s the building can still be seen today. It is located on the Newport branch of the Shrewsbury Canal at the end of the Humber Arm.